Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A 'bright' tag while eating crow....

Ok...this is for my coworker and friend Laura..  I HATE glue sticks....hate them, loathe them, despise them....As a scrapbooker, my past experience with using a glue stick was an epic failure!  The first scrapbook I ever made was put together using a glue stick....And, I have had to fix it a few times using GOOD adhesive since it was completed...  Glue sticks are horrible and I give Laura crap about loving them so much!  (She's addicted to them....LOL)  So I passionately hate glue sticks....Well, until the day  my boss stumbled upon a inky technique using the Collage Glue Sticks from Ranger.

This technique was featured in an e-mail newsletter that my boss received this week and is from, what is now, one of my new favorite blogs:  The Little Shabby Shed

This technique is so cool!  So cool, that I bought two Collage Glue Sticks....(Did you hear that thud?  That was Laura falling out of her chair...LOL)

Love this technique!  It kind of gives the effect of bleaching, but is much easier!!  I also finally got to use those pesky light bulbs that I've had for what it seems like years!  Love the bulbs, guess I just needed the right project for those light bulbs.  I got an industrial vibe once the tag started taking shape!

I also stamped and dyed the crinkle ribbon in this tag.  I learned my lesson from the last time I dyed the ribbon not to spray so much.  My hand is actually its normal color today!!  LOL  Off to go work on another tag.  Feeling like playing with some green ink and listening to some loud music!


Monday, February 4, 2013

Another mixed media board....

Hi again!  It's been really cold this weekend, so I have been able to stay in and craft!  I'm getting my fingers really inky!!!

This is another mixed media board done on 1/4" plywood.  I stained the plywood using Tea Dye Distress stain.  Then, using Mod Podge, I added a torn piece of Melange Tissue Wrap, leaving a few wrinkles to give the background a little more texture.  I'm becoming really fond of the tissue wrap because you are able to see color through the tissue.  Then, using a stencil, I embossed the bricks in the upper right side of the board.  Using a different stencil and Distress Ink, I stenciled a strip on the bottom right.  While the ink was drying, which isn't very long, I spritzed a doily with Meadow Color Wash and heat set it.  After the doily was dry, I adhered it to the board.

In the upper right corner, I used adhesive pearl strips in three lengths.  (These are the Kaisercraft champagne pearl strips.  You get like 200+ pearls in a pack.  Such a great deal!!)  The butterflies are Studio Calico wood veneer pieces.  They were stained using Metallic Brass and Fired Brick Distress Stain.  Then, more pearls were used to create the body of the butterflies.  A 7Gypsies ephemera card was distressed with an Edge Distresser and inked with Walnut Stain.

This wouldn't be one of my projects if it didn't have a little twine on it somewhere!!  So the ornate plate from Tim Holtz Idea-ology was tied to the board using the twine.  The stamped sentiment, stamped in Olive Archival Ink and inked with Antique Linen, is from Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous stamp set CMS100: Odds and Ends....

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Happy Mail and and the resulting tag...

Hi all!  It's FREEZING here in Ohio....brrr... It was 6 degrees this morning.....And we're supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow this weekend.   At least I don't have to go anywhere...

I came home from work today to a happy package full of some new Distress Stain colors and masks. I was really looking forward to receiving the mask from Studio Calico.

I've been wanting this chevron mask ever since I saw it when it was released.  And then, one of my crafty buddies used it in an art journal and I was hooked!!

I used Peacock Feather Distress Stain to do the background of the tag, softening the color with some water.  Then, I took the Chevron Mask and inked over it with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.

The doily was colored with Picked Raspberry stain and dried with a heat gun.

I really love the color of the Picked Raspberry with the Peacock Feather!!!

Twine was then wrapped around the tag a few times and was threaded through the center of the doily, tying a bow after threaded.  A trinket pin was then glued on top of the bow.  (I realized after placing the pin that the bow/pin combination resembled a butterfly or dragonfly.  After inking an adage ticket and attaching it with pop dots and adding my favorite twine at the top, the tag is finished!!

Happy Crafting!!