Tuesday, December 6, 2011

An experiment...

I made this project earlier this year.  We got some 5" x 5" canvases in at the store and I wanted to attempt a wall hanging.  I first sealed the canvas with gesso, which seals the canvas and prevents it from soaking up any color.  I then sprayed the canvas with color washes in Sailboat Blue and Sunset Orange and heat dried it with a heat gun.  These two colors will make a touch of green.  To make the flowers, I first adhered some 7 Gypsies paper to a piece of Grungepaper using glossy accents.  After it dries, I then die-cut flowers using the Tattered Florals die.  Each flower was inked with Mustard Seed, Fired Brick, Worn Lipstick, and Spiced Marmalade.

I die-cut vines using the Elegant Flourishes die and grungepaper.  The vines were colored with Forest Moss.  All the pieces were then glued to the canvas using glossy accents; gluing the vine down first and layering the flowers on top.  The wood button, which was colored with Sunset Orange Color wash, was threaded with hemp and adhered to the large flower.  I then took Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls and sprayed the whole canvas.  (I love this stuff!!)  Then, I took an adage ticket and attached it to the canvas using a memo pin....

I really enjoyed playing around with the different mediums while making this canvas....It proved to be a bit messy.. I looked like a smurf when I was done with the color washes!!  LOL

Supplies
  • Distress Inks: Forest Moss, Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seed, Worn Lipstick, Fired Brick
  • Color Washes: Sailboat Blue, Sunset Orange
  • Perfect Pearls Mist: Heirloom Gold
  • paper: 7 Gypsies Conservatory Collection: Mesofauna
  • 5" x 5" canvas
  • Sizzix Alterations Dies: Tattered Florals and Elegant Flourishes
  • hemp
  • Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Memo Pins, Adage Tickets
  • wooden button
  • glossy accents
  • heat gun

Thanks for stopping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment